Rocky Road is one of America’s favorite treat! Rocky Road can come in many forms like ice cream, fudge, or even these beautiful cupcakes! Rocky Road is simply comprised of chocolate, almonds, and marshmallows! These babies have a chocolatey based cupcake with sliced almonds in the batter. They are then stuffed with a marshmallow! And then topped with chocolate buttercream, a toasted marshmallow and sliced almonds! These will be a show stopper at your next gathering, and the best part – they can be made ahead of time!
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 cup of sliced almonds
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of olive oil (sub: vegetable or canola oil)
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of brewed coffee
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of chocolate chips, melted (sub: baking chocolate)
Filling Ingredients/Garnish Ingredients:
1 pack of marshmallows (large or minis)
2 tbsp of sliced almonds
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1 stick of soften room temperature butter (leave out for 2 hours or until soften)
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 tbsp of milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a muffin tin and line with cupcake liners. (Grease the cupcake liners as well for easy peeling).
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients until combined. In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
3. Add the dry ingredients mixture into the wet mixture, 1/3 mixture at a time. Whisk until fully combined and lump free. (some lumps are fine).
4. Using a small cookie scooper, add one scoop of the mixture into the cupcake liner. Pop in a marshmallow and add more cupcake batter on top to cover the marshmallow (should be about 3/4th full). (Pro tip: If using a large marshmallow, cut it into 1/3rds so it doesn’t explode or use 2 minis).
5. Bake the cupcakes for 16-20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes complete before frosting.
6. Using the stand mixer or hand mixture – cream the butter with vanilla extract for about 1 minute until smooth and whipped (medium speed). Add in one cup of powdered sugar at a time. Add in cocoa powder until combined. Add in 1 tbsp of milk at a time and beat on medium-high for about 30 seconds. Whip until desired consistency is reached.
7. Pipe buttercream on the cupcakes and garnish with sliced almonds. Torch the marshmallow with a torcher and then place on top of the cupcake! Serve and enjoy!
8. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter.