Pizza is one of America’s favorite foods. It is such a versatile recipe. For me personally, you’ve got to have great homemade crust. Store bought is fine if you are in a pinch, but I really love to make mine from scratch. I promise you this pizza dough is the best pizza dough out there. It’s super easy to make. Takes 10 minutes worth of prep and a few hours to rise. The dough has herbs and a touch of honey (my secret weapon!) It does NOT disappoint!
Yields: 2 Large Pizzas
Pizza Dough Ingredients:
4 cups of all purpose flour
3 tbsp of oil (plus more for coating the dough)
1 packet of yeast + sugar amount written on the yeast packet
1 cup of luke warm water (30 seconds in the microwave)
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tsp of dry basil
1 tsp of dry oregano
1 tsp of crushed red pepper
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of green chilies
1 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of honey
* If your dough needs more water, add 1 tsp at a time
Basil Pesto Pizza Ingredients:
1/2 cup of pesto
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
1/2 of onion, sliced
1 tsp of oil
5-6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup of kalamata olives
4 fresh basil, chopped
1. In a mixing bowl, add yeast packet, sugar, and luke warm water. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes until the mixture looks bubbly.
2. Add remaining pizza dough ingredients to the yeast mixture, and mix using the dough attachment until dough starts to form. Use your hands to form the dough. Split the dough into two balls. Coat the outside of the dough balls with a little bit of olive oil.
3. Let the dough rise for 2 – 4 hours. (The longer the better). Leave dough in the bowl covered with plastic wrap if using the next day.
4. Preheat oven to 400F. Using a little flour, roll out the dough.
5. Cook the dough for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden brown. (if you like your pizza crispy cook a little longer).
6. While the dough is cooking, caramelize the onions by combining sliced onions and oil in a pan on medium heat. Cook for for 6-8 minutes until caramelized.
7. Flip the dough over and top pizza with pesto, cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and caramelized onions. Cook for another 8-10 minutes or until the dough has reached your desired crisp level.
8. Broil pizza for 1 minute. Top with fresh basil and serve immediately.
* Note: All ovens are different, so be sure to watch your dough, you may need little or more time depending on how your hot spots are in the oven.