These chipotle shrimp tacos are the best tacos ever. They are made with a homemade corn tortilla that doesn’t take much time to put together! They are filled with a chipotle based sauce that has a touch of honey in it! They are seriously the best tacos. If you love spice, then I promise these will be an absolute winner! Also, incase you were wondering, don’t worry about the shell from the shrimp, I removed it prior to eating! It was left in for the photo!
If you are a Taco Tuesday fan, then these Chipotle Shrimp Tacos need to be the next ones you make! They are super easy to make and are really filling as well. These tacos are paired with a vegetarian style Birria sauce, which is like Mexican stew. It is commonly made with meat, but I made it without. So, lets get make these TACOS!
12 corn tortillas (flour if desired)*
1 lb cooked shrimp (raw if desired)
1 can of chipotle peppers (La Costena brand)
3 gloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of honey
1 white onion, chopped
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used habanero cheddar)
1 container of Pico De Gallo**
1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
* To make corn tortillas: combine 1-1/4 cup of all purpose flour + 2/3 cup of yellow corn meal + 1/4 cup of olive oil + 1/2 cup of water + 1/2 tsp of salt. Let it sit for an hour and then divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll out and cook for a minute on each side with olive oil. Reserve to the side until ready to assemble.
** To make fresh Pico De Gallo: combine two chopped tomatoes and one chopped white onion into a bowl. Squeeze 1/2 lemon, chopped cilantro and salt to taste.
1. In a pan, heat oil and garlic at medium heat until the garlic starts to turn golden brown. Add onion to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, in a blender, blend chipotle peppers until a paste consistency is reached.
2. Add the chipotle paste to the pan. Let everything cook for 2 minutes. Add half the cilantro and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Add in the shrimp until cooked through.
3. In a separate pan at medium high heat, place your cooked corn tortilla in. Add cheese and shrimp to half the tortilla and then fold the tortilla in half. Cook for about a minute of each side. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges, and pico de gallo. Serve immediately.
* Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and jalapenos!